Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– America’s oldest independent brewery, Yuengling, is challenging the merger between SABMiller and AB InBev days before it is scheduled to conclude.
– San Francisco’s Ava Winery hopes to disrupt the wine industry with its engineered imitations of coveted vintages.
– Food Republic revisits the story of New Albion Brewing Company, a craft beer originator.
– Portugal’s fortified wine, Madeira, is becoming increasingly popular as a cocktail component in bars across the country.
– Forbes traces how long America’s oldest breweries were able to remain independent before being bought.
– Finally, the winners of the World’s 50 Best Bar Awards have been announced, with New York’s Dead Rabbit taking first place.
[Photo: Flickr/Alexander Baxevanis]