Some young mixologists have lately found in blanc vermouth the key to balancing a Gibson. Such is the case with this lovely version by Alex Negranza, of the Houston bar Better Luck Tomorrow. A touch of pear liqueur further softens the mixture, while a playful triple garnish of two onions and garlic add bite and a visual flourish.
- 1 1/2 ounces London dry gin, preferably Beefeater
- 1/2 ounce red onion-infused gin (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/4 ounce pear liqueur, preferably Rothman & Winter
Garnish: pickled red onion, pearl cocktail onion, pickled green garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Nick and Nora glass.
- Garnish with pickled red onion, pearl cocktail onion and pickled green garlic.
Red Onion-Infused Gin:
1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
1 1/4 cups gin
Combine ingredients in a nonreactive container and infuse for 24 hours. Strain out the solids and store.