At San Francisco’s False Idol, lead bartender Anthony Schmidt pairs passion fruit and maraschino with high-octane tequila in this morbidly baptized frozen drink. With a sidecar shot of mezcal and a plastic eyeball garnish, the drink is evocative of the tiki bar’s whole “impending danger and peril” mood.
- 1 1/2 ounces high proof blanco tequila, preferably Siemba Valles High Proof
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounces passion fruit syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 ounce demerara syrup (2:1 demerara sugar:water)
- 1 ounce mezcal, preferably Vago reserved in a shot glass as an accompaniment
- 12 to 14 ounces pebble ice
Garnish: plastic eyeball
- Combine all ingredients except the mezcal in a drink tin.
- Add the pebble ice.
- Using a drink mixer on medium speed setting, mix for 2 to 4 seconds.
- Empty contents into a 14 1/2-ounce double rocks glass.
- Serve the drink along with the shot of mezcal and instruct guests to sip the mezcal and follow with a taste of the cocktail.
Passion Fruit Syrup:
1 part passion fruit purée
1 part rich simple syrup (2:1 granulated white sugar: water)
Combine the puree with the rich simple syrup in a sealable container and refrigerate until use.