At Rita’s Tiki Room in Milan, tropical flavors and classic aperitivo cocktails co-mingle as a matter of practicality. (According to owner Edoardo Nono the concept of a tiki bar in Italy is new to most Italians, so wrapping the experience around the word “aperitivo” made it easier for customers to understand.) Here, the Milanese classic Campari Shakerato heads to the beach.
- 1 1/2 ounces Campari
- 1/3 ounce Galliano l'Autentico
- 1/2 ounce cachaça, preferably Germana Soul
- 1/3 ounce lime oleo saccharum (see Editor's Note)
- 1/3 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes absinthe, preferably La Fée Parisienne
Garnish: bamboo leaf
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake until chilled then strain into the other tin.
- Discard the ice then dry shake without ice to fully combine.
- Fine-strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass and garnish with a bamboo leaf.
Lime Oleo Saccharum
30 grams fresh lime peel (no pith, green only)
300 grams superfine granulated sugar
10 ounces freshly strained lime juice
Allow the peels to rest with the sugar for 24 hours at room temperature. Add the freshly strained lime juice and gently stir until the sugar is complete dissolved. Strain into a resealable bottle. Will last for up to three days refrigerated.