This riff on the Lion’s Tail doubles down on the tiki aspect of the drink, adding rum, falernum and even a splash of absinthe for extra bite. “This never made it to any of my menus, but I keep it in my arsenal to use as a Dealer’s Choice,” Austin says.
- 1 1/2 ounces demerara rum
- 1 ounce 100-proof bourbon
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce falernum
- 1/4 ounce pimento dram
- 1 teaspoon demerara syrup (1:1, demerara sugar: water)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 6 drops absinthe
Garnish: mint sprig
- Combine all ingredients and a scoop of crushed ice in a cocktail tin.
- Using a Hamilton spindle mixer, flash blend for three seconds.
- Pour into an rocks Old-Fashioned or rocks glass.
- Top with additional crushed ice.
- Garnish with mint.