“This is my Italian Lion’s Tail,” explains Ward. The name means Lion’s Tail in Italian, and showcases Italy’s amari—specifically, Sibona, a relatively bitter amaro that dries out this traditionally rich cocktail and adds complexity.
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, preferably Evan Williams Black Label
- 3/4 ounce Amaro Sibona
- 1/2 ounce allspice dram, preferably St. Elizabeth's
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.