When she was first learning about amaro, Claire Sprouse had never considered the context of connecting Averna to the Mediterranean terroir of its birthplace. “There is a subtle brightness, much like the Sicilian sunshine, that can be brought out with just a little coaxing from joining Averna with fresh herbs and citrus zest.” She calls the Parasole “a punchy, tropical” cocktail inspired by the Mediterranean lifestyle. “It’s essentially a bitter, low-ABV version of a Tequila Sunrise that is perfect for sipping on a sidewalk café patio.”
- 1 ounce Averna amaro
- 1 ounce medium dry Madeira, preferably Broadbent Rainwater 3-Year
- 1 ounce fresh orange juice
- 1/2 ounce grenadine, preferably Small Hand Foods
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
Garnish: pomegranate slice
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled hurricane glass packed with pebble ice.
- Top with more pebble ice as needed.
- Garnish with a pomegranate slice.