A kelp-inflected twist on a sour formula, this cocktail is amplified by furikake, tahini and lemon juice. Simultaneously salty and sweet, this drink, Jena Ellenwood says, is “addictive in its simplicity.”
- 2 ounces kelp- and tahini-washed reposado tequila (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce vegan furikake syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce aquafaba
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and dry shake without ice.
- Add ice, then shake again.
- Strain into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with furikake.
Kelp- and Tahini-Washed Tequila:
16 ounces reposado tequila
1 kelp blade
1 tablespoon tahini
Combine ingredients in mason jar, shake, and allow to marinate 24 hours before freezing overnight. Remove from freezer and strain through a nut milk bag or two wet coffee filters to remove solids.
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegan furikake
Stir to combine and allow to rest in the refrigerator overnight before fine-straining.