“If a guest wants ‘an Old-Fashioned but not an Old-Fashioned’ I’ll make them something like this,” explains McCray of his “fruit-washed” Old-Fashioned, which calls on dehydrated cranberry- and orange-infused whiskey for a shelf-stable spin that cleverly nods to the “new-fashioned,” post-Prohibition take on the drink, which incorporated muddled fruit, marring the cocktail for decades.
- 2 1/4 ounces "fruit-washed" whiskey (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce banana liqueur, preferably Giffard
- 6 drops cranberry bitters
Garnish: dehydrated orange wheel, cranberries
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a dehydrated orange wheel and cranberries.
5 grams dehydrated orange powder
5 grams dehydrated banana powder
5 grams dehydrated cranberry powder
1 750ml bottle whiskey, preferably Smooth Ambler Rye
Combine all ingredients together and let the mixture infuse for 10 hours. Using a centrifuge or a strainer, remove the solids before rebottling.