Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– In an effort to promote happy hour, several bars are promoting $1 drink specials, despite the potential legal issues of this practice.
– The world of brewing has turned its attention to food-flavored beers, from Shmaltz Brewing’s Pastrami Pils to Right Brain’s Mangalitsa Pig Porter.
– In Imbibe, Wayne Curtis traces the history of the maraschino cherry.
– The team behind New York’s Attaboy will open three new bars in 2017, including Diamond Reef, which is slated to open in Brooklyn this January.
– Cuba has offered to settle its $270 million debt to Czech Republic with rum, a deal which Bloomberg reports is not as crazy as it sounds.
– According to Vox, professional and amateur wine ratings have a very high rate of correlation.
– Finally, GQ offers a list of 20 new rules for drinking and buying wine.
[Photo: Flickr/Ville Oksanen]