This classic West Indies staple is traditionally made with a dark rum, but Schiffer prefers Wray & Nephew, an overproof white rum from Jamaica, which offers a strong backbone and a heavy dose of funk.
- 1 1/2 ounces Wray & Nephew white overproof rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1 ounce water
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint sprig
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with crushed ice.
- Roll into a Collins glass.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.