This cocktail name is a dad joke from Andrews’ actual dad, who, when diner servers ask him that question, jokingly responds: “Whiskey!” This would surely fill his breakfast cocktail needs as well—the rich maple syrup profile of Knob Creek® Rye is amplified by the aromatics of the fenugreek, a seed whose flavors some describe as a split between celery and maple. Cardamaro likewise adds some “black” Manhattan notes in place of vermouth, leaving the cocktail less sweet than expected. A bit of Benedictine rounds things out.
- 2 parts Knob Creek® Rye
- 1 part Cardamaro
- 2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl mole bitters
- 1 barspoon Benedictine
- 1 spritz of fenugreek tincture (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: piece of dark chocolate
- Combine ingredients except fenugreek tincture in a mixing glass over ice, and stir.
- Strain over a big cube in a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Mist with fenugreek tincture.
- Serve with a piece of dark chocolate.
(Makes 10 ounces)
3 tablespoons fenugreek seeds
10 ounces Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye
Toast the fenugreek in a pan, making sure not to burn. Place in a Mason jar and pour rye over it. Seal and let sit for a week. Strain into a mister bottle.