A cult favorite within the modern classic amaro cocktail canon, Stephen Cole’s Bitter Giuseppe uses Cynar as the foundation of this bold yet bright drink. Like Cynar itself, the cocktail can be enjoyed as an aperitivo or an after-dinner digestivo. If making the latter, try adding a pinch of salt, which, when combined with the oils from the expressed lemon, enhances the bitterness.
- 2 ounces Cynar
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Cinzano 1757 Vermouth Rosso
- 1 barspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 dashes orange bitters
- pinch of kosher salt
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Stir until chilled, then strain into a chilled double Old-Fashioned glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.