Christine Wiseman, bar manager of Broken Shaker at the Freehand Los Angeles, has rejiggered the traditional Sex on the Beach with a stirred preparation, playing with the flavors of the oft-derided cocktail. Vodka infused with California apricots stands in for peach schnapps, while the orange and cranberry juices are replaced by bianco vermouth infused with orange peel and freshly muddled cranberries.
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka, preferably SKYY
- 1/2 ounce apricot vodka, preferably SKYY California Apricot
- 3/4 ounce orange- and cranberry-infused bianco vermouth (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Angeleno
- 2 dashes Miracle Mile Sour Cherry Bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
Garnish: dehydrated lime wheel, decorative mermaid
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with a dehydrated lime wheel and a decorative mermaid.
Infused Bianco Vermouth:
Combine the peels of two oranges and 8 ounces of freshly muddled cranberries with the contents of a 750 ml bottle of bianco vermouth, preferably Carpano Bianco. Refrigerate overnight, then strain out the solids before serving.