“Rye and amaro is a combination that rivals peanut butter and jelly in my book,” says Dorothy Elizabeth, who once spent a summer attempting to try every whiskey and amaro combination before landing on her favorite: Woodford Reserve rye and Cardamaro. “Simply love at first sight,” she says. Here, the mixture is complemented by a measure of herbal liqueur and three types of bitters.
Dorothy Elizabeth, Standby | Detroit, MI
- 1 1/2 ounces rye, preferably Woodford Reserve
- 1/4 ounce Bitter Truth EXR Bitter Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce Cardamaro
- 1 small pinch salt
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3 dashes Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit bitters
Garnish: dehydrated orange wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a dehydrated orange wheel.