In this tequila-based take on the Ginger Smash, Dushan Zaric adds a measure of Rhum Clément’s Creole Shrubb to complement the spice of fresh ginger and to highlight the citrus notes of freshly muddled kumquat and lime.
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger root
- 2 kumquats
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila, preferably Cabeza
- 1 ounce creole shrub, preferably Rhum Clément
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- Muddle the ginger root, kumquats and sugar in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the shaker and add enough ice to fill a rocks glass.
- Cover and shake hard but briefly.
- Pour the unstrained mixture into a rocks glass.