Landing on the podium at both our 2016 and 2023 Manhattan blind tastings, Joaquín Simó’s recipe fractures each component in half—splitting the whiskey between Rittenhouse rye and Russell’s Reserve 10-year bourbon, the sweet vermouth between Cinzano 1757 and Martelletti Classico, and the bitters between the traditional Angostura and Dale DeGroff’s pimento bitters. That final flourish adds noticeable baking spice to the equation, resulting in a drink that is rich, robust and soothing in a way only a Manhattan can be.
- 1 ounce Rittenhouse Rye
- 1 ounce Russell's Reserve 10-yr Bourbon
- 1/2 ounce Cinzano 1757 sweet vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Martelletti Classico sweet vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Dale DeGroff's Pimento Bitters
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe glass.