In our tasting of 17 Manhattans from America’s top bartenders, Simó’s rye and bourbon recipe came in second. In his carefully constructed rendition he splits the spirit base with one ounce each of Rittenhouse rye and Russell’s Reserve 10-year-old bourbon. The sweet vermouth, too, was divided: one half-ounce of Cinzano and one half-ounce of Martelletti Classico. Even the bitters were a double act, with one dash of Angostura and one dash of Dale DeGroff’s Pimento Bitters.
Joaquín Simó’s Manhattan
Joaquín Simó | Pouring Ribbons, NYC
- 1 ounce Rittenhouse Rye
- 1 ounce Russell's Reserve 10-yr Bourbon
- 1/2 ounce Cinzano 1757 sweet vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Martelletti Classico sweet vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Dale DeGroff's Pimento Bitters
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe glass.