At Friends and Family in Oakland, a case of unwanted cava turned into this riff on the Death in the Afternoon. Now a mainstay on the queer bar’s menu, the Lulu at Le Monocle pays homage to the absinthe-laced Hemingway drink while also referencing one of Friends and Family’s biggest influences—the 1930s Parisian lesbian nightclub called Le Monocle.
- absinthe, for spritzing
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 5 ounces dry sparkling wine
Garnish: horse’s neck lemon peel
- Spritz a coupe several times with absinthe and fill it with crushed ice. Allow to chill for a couple minutes.
- Dump the ice and add both bitters.
- Top with the sparkling wine.
- Using a channel knife, cut a long, thin piece of lemon peel, then carefully express it and drop it into the drink.