Basil-infused gin stars in this sour-style cocktail. The aromatic herb complements the spirit’s inherent botanical makeup, and pairs well with the pineapple liqueur, fresh lemon juice and lemon syrup that round out the drink. In other words, the Royal Gift puts refreshment above anything else. “It’s all about respecting the properties, the fragrance, of the basil,” says Cruz.
- 1 1/2 ounces basil-infused gin (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce pineapple liqueur
- 1/4 ounce lemon syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel.
Basil Infused Gin:
1 bottle of London dry gin
200 grams fresh basil
Wash and dry the basil and place it in a jar with the gin. Close it tightly and let rest for 4 days. Double strain it back to the bottle.
1 part lemon juice
1 part sugar
Warm up the lemon juice in a small pot in the stove over low heat. Add the sugar slowly while stirring it until combined. Let it cool and store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.