Jelani Johnson has tried the Rum Cow every which way, including a nine-ingredient version that he used to serve during his tenure at Clover Club. Nowadays, he keeps his spec simple and likes to show it off as an after-dinner bartender’s choice that delights guests with its sweet, creamy flavor and eye-catching look.
- 3 ounces best-quality whole milk
- 2 ounces aged Jamaican rum, such as Denizen Merchant’s Reserve
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg, whipped cream (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain into a wine glass, milkshake glass or coupe.
- Grate fresh nutmeg on top.
- If serving in a wine glass or milkshake glass, top with whipped cream if desired.