In her update on Puerto Rican coquito, Shannon Ponche of Brooklyn’s Leyenda opts for a base of reposado tequila, which gets winterized by the additions of nutty oloroso sherry, spiced Braulio and cinnamon syrup.
Coquito Ho Ho
Shannon Ponche, Leyenda | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila, preferably Espolon
- 1 ounce oloroso sherry
- 1 ounce coconut milk
- 1/2 ounce Coco Lopez
- 1/4 ounce Braulio
- 1/2 ounce coconut rum liqueur, preferably Kalani
- 1/4 ounce cinnamon syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 whole egg
Garnish: grated nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and dry shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain into a mug.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.
1 cup simple syrup (1:1, sugar: water)
7 grams cinnamon (about 2 cinnamon sticks)
Combine ingredients in a saucepan over heat until boiling. Remove from heat and let sit for 12 hours before straining and storing in a sealable container.