Named after chef Justin Smillie at the restaurant Upland in New York, the cocktail it is a dazzling rainbow of a drink. The tangy-savory blend of tequila, lime juice and agave syrup infused with golden beets, ginger and turmeric is given a striking visual accent in the form of a half-and-half rim of golden turmeric salt and red beet salt.
- 2 ounces blanco tequila, preferably Olmeca Altos
- 3/4 ounce golden beet, turmeric and ginger agave syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- turmeric salt (see Editor's Note)
- beet salt (see Editor's Note)
- Moisten the rim of a rocks glass with lime.
- Rim one half of the glass in turmeric salt and the other half in beet salt.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a shaking tin, add ice and shake until chilled.
- Fine strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
Golden Beet Ginger and Turmeric Agave Syrup
32 ounces agave syrup
4 ounces turmeric juice
8 ounces golden beet juice
8 ounces ginger juice
Combine all ingredients into glass bottle, and shake to combine. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Beet and Turmeric Salt
The salts are made with turmeric powder and purple beet powder sourced from from Rare Tea Cellar in Chicago. To make, blend the powder in with salt at a 60 percent (alt) to 40 percent (powder) ratio.