Caitlin Laman’s (formerly of Trick Dog) bourbon Manhattan came in third in our tasting of 17 different Manhattans from America’s top bartenders. Her two-parts whiskey to one-part vermouth, plus Angostura, formula was classic, but her liquor choices unusual. The bourbon was the oft-overlooked Johnny Drum 101, and the vermouth was the California-made Tempus Fugit Alessio Vermouth di Torino.
- 2 ounces Johnny Drum Bourbon Private Stock 101
- 1 ounce Tempus Fugit Alessio Vermouth di Torino
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
Garnish: brandied cherry
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass, and garnish with a brandied cherry (See Editor's Note).
Soak one jar of Luxardo Maraschino cherries in 2 parts Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac to a 1/2 part Sangre y Trabajadero Oloroso.