“I am consistently trying to make everyone that sits down at Standby the healthiest cocktail imaginable,” says head bartender Dorothy Elizabeth, “It’s my stealth mission to saturate alcohol with antioxidants and vitamin C.” Here, she marries mezcal with bright and bitter arugula, then shakes the mixture with fresh bell peppers, in what she aptly describes as a “pseudo-healthy creation.”
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Vida
- 1 ounce ginger syrup or liqueur, preferably Kings Ginger (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 7 dashes Bittermens Hellfire Habanero Shrub
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 to 4 quartered pieces of bell pepper
- 1 handful arugula
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Collins glass over ice.
Blend two parts sugar with one part ginger juice.