The ease of preparation of this drink, which is essentially a Negroni plus cranberry sauce, is precisely the point—nobody needs another challenging culinary task on Thanksgiving. Straight-from-the-can cranberry sauce is fine, of course; homemade sauce is even better.
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Barr Hill
- 1 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
- 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce
Garnish: flamed orange twist, cranberry skewered with a rosemary sprig
- In a mixing glass, combine the gin and cranberry sauce and muddle until the sauce is sufficiently dissolved (it will only take a few seconds).
- Add the remaining ingredients, plus ice, and stir until chilled.
- Fine strain into a coupe or cocktail glass.
- Flame an orange peel over the cocktail and then discard.
- Garnish with a cranberry speared with a rosemary sprig.