A versatile modifier, Curaçao can pair with both dark and light spirits, but Vida prefers to pair it with the former in stirred, spirit-forward drinks, like his Alexander. Complementing PX sherry, rum and crème de banana, a double dose of orange liqueurs adds complex mid-note flavors without too much sweetness.
- 2 dashes mole bitters
- 1/4 ounce PX sherry
- 1/2 ounce créme de banana
- 3/4 ounce Curaçao, preferably Mandarine Napoléon
- 1/4 ounce Curaçao, preferably Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
- 1/2 ounce brandy, preferably Lustau Gran Reserva
- 1/2 ounce rum, preferably El Dorado 12 Year Old
- 1 ounce cream float
- Stir all ingredients except the cream in a mixing glass with ice.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and pour the cream float overtop.
- Garnish with nutmeg.