The Brandy Alexander, also known as the Alexander No. 2 is a mix of equal parts brandy, crème de cacao and cream dusted with freshly grated nutmeg. The first edition, which employs gin as its primary spirit, was born of necessity; Prohibition required a heavy hand in sweet ingredients to conceal poor-quality spirits produced illegally. Eventually the Alexander No. 1 evolved with the taste of the times, and gin was replaced by cognac or brandy.
- 1 ounce brandy, VSOP
- 1 ounce crème de cacao, Tempus Fugit
- 1 ounce cream
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe or a small rocks glass.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
For an extra-icy cocktail (this one is especially good when very cold), chill all of your ingredients ahead of time.