The popular New York City tiki party, Tiki Mondays, has always been equal parts heavy metal and tropical breeze. Enter, head tiki bartender Brian Miller’s Black Flag Grog. A heavy-hitting mix of four kinds of rum with a spicy tart supporting cast of nutmeg, orgeat and fruit juices, this head-splitting mix is sure to pave the way for an evening of swashbuckling and head banging.
- 1 ounce Dos Maderas PX rum
- 1 ounce Appleton 12 year rum or Plantation Jamaica 2001 rum
- 1/2 ounce El Dorado 151-proof rum
- 1/2 ounce Cruzan Blackstrap rum
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce orgeat, Orgeat Works macadamia nut orgeat
- 1/2 ounce nutmeg syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce soda water
Garnish: lime wheel and a pirate flag
- Add all ingredients (except soda water) to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Add soda water and strain over ice into a large old-fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and a pirate flag.
To make the nutmeg syrup, crack 10 whole nutmeg pods into tiny pieces. Combine with 1 cup of sugar and 8 ounces of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and drop to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain through a cheesecloth, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.