Champan’s Haven, a direct English translation of Copenhagen, reads like a Gimlet variation in which aquavit drives the vegetal character of the drink, highlighted by muddled cucumber and celery bitters.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Martin Miller's
- 1/2 ounce Aalborg Akvavit
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 7 drops Black Pepper tincture
- 1 dash Scrappy's Celery Bitters
- 3 slices muddled cucumber
- 1 muddled strawberry
Garnish: floating cucumber wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with a floating cucumber wheel.
Black Pepper Tincture:
1 liter high proof vodka
30g black pepper
Grind peppercorns and add to vodka. Let steep at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain through cheesecloth.