“The Jungle is not a well-known sherry cocktail, but should be,” says Chantal Tseng of the close sibling of the Trinity cocktail (equal parts dry gin, dry vermouth and sweet vermouth, with an orange peel). “Around the time I started realizing that the classic repertoire vermouth drinks were brilliant once you figured out how not to let the vermouth go bad,” she continues, “it became an obsession to explore this retro-vintage world.” If a Martini or Negroni seems too daunting, Tseng recommends the Jungle to “break you in.”
- 1 ounce London dry gin, preferably Jensen's
- 1 ounce fino sherry, preferably Valespino Inocente
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin
Garnish: orange peel, sprig of fresh thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an expressed orange peel and a sprig of fresh thyme.