Served in a can of berry LaCroix, Benjamin Amberg’s High Ball Stepper brightens the botanicals of gin with fresh mint syrup and a squeeze of lime in this modern take on the classic Collins construction.
High Ball Stepper
Benjamin Amberg, Clyde Common | Portland, OR
- 1 can berry LaCroix
- 3 ounces London dry gin
- 1 1/2 ounces lime juice
- 3/4 ounce mint syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mint and a straw
- Pour out half of the berry LaCroix and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with cracked ice.
- Fine strain into the can using a small funnel.
- Garnish with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mint and a straw.
1 medium bundle of mint
8 ounces simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
Blanch the mint in boiling water for 15 seconds then plunge into an ice water bath for 1 minute. Blend the mint with the simple syrup until uniform. Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids.