For Joaquín Simó, splitting the vermouth portion of the Manhattan, i.e., turning it “perfect,” yields an infinitely variable cocktail tailor-made for any season. Here, his go-to formula that’s just right as-is and equally adaptable to the vermouths of your choosing.
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Wild Turkey 101
- 3/4 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Antica Torino Rosso
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Regans’ Orange Bitters
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice and stir briskly until very cold.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Express a lemon peel over the cocktail, then notch in onto the side of the glass.