Jocelyn Morin, owner of Tern Club in Knoxville, Tennessee, adds complexity to her take on the Daiquiri with a few modifiers. In lieu of simple syrup, she uses a richer Demerara syrup, and balances it out with a couple dashes each of saline solution and “Herbstura,” an equal-parts blend of Herbsaint liqueur and Angostura bitters.
- 2 ounces Jamaican rum, preferably Plantation Xaymaca
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Demerara syrup (2:1, Demerara sugar to water)
- 2 dashes Herbstura (1:1, Herbsaint liqueur to Angostura bitters)
- 2 drops saline solution
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.