Joe Campanale goes for a double dose of bitters, using one ounce each of the Brooklyn-made Forthave Red and Cappelletti from Italy. To that base he added a mere half-ounce of Dolin red vermouth, one ounce of sparkling water for added fizz and a topper of prosecco, all served over ice, stirred gently, and garnished with an orange slice. The judges in a recent blind Negroni Sbagliato tasting found the drink the most beguiling of the 10, with endless layers of piquant, spicy, herbal and savory flavors.
- 1 ounce Forthave Spirits Red Aperitivo
- 1 ounce Aperitivo Cappelletti
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Dolin Red
- 1 ounce sparkling water
- Prosecco, to top
Garnish: orange peel
- Combine first three ingredients in a wine glass.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add sparkling water and prosecco.
- Stir once or twice very gently to integrate, so as not to dissipate the bubbles.
- Garnish with orange slice.