The winner of our Manhattan blind tasting, this archetypal recipe sticks with a 2:1 ratio of whiskey—specifically, Michter’s rye—to sweet vermouth, in this case Cocchi di Torino. Two dashes of Angostura bitters complete the drink, which is garnished with a marasca cherry. As one expects from any good Manhattan, the drink is comforting: “It feels like a salve,” remarked one judge.
- 2 ounces Michter’s rye
- 1 ounce Cocchi di Torino sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
Garnish: Luxardo maraschino cherry
- Combine all ingredients in a cold mixing glass straight out of the freezer.
- Stir with cold shards of crystal-clear block ice, preferably stored at –4°C.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.