Unlike some of the other nonalcoholic offerings from Shawnee, Kansas’ Wild Child, the Sound & Fury does not require home-distilling equipment to make. Carrot, mango and tomatillo juices come together to form the base, while lime and habanero vinegar (“a shrub that doesn’t taste like a vinaigrette,” according to owner Jay Sanders) bring an acidic kick.
- 1 ounce carrot juice
- 1 ounce mango juice
- 1/2 ounce tomatillo juice
- 1/2 ounce habanero-infused vinegar (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 pinches salt
Garnish: spiced candied mango
- Combine all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour the contents of the shaker, including the ice, into a footed glass and top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a piece of spiced candied mango.
1 habanero pepper
500 milliliters white wine vinegar
Chop the habanero pepper, then combine it with the white wine vinegar and cook sous-vide at 45°C (113°F) for 1 hour.