Bartender Lara Creasy builds an innovative riff on mulled wine with the addition of housemade chai-infused vermouth and a few dashes of bitters, for a winter-friendly, low-proof cocktail with no shortage of warming power.
- 1 1/2 ounces chai infused Sweet Vermouth (See Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce red wine, preferably Montepulciano
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1/4 ounce honey syrup
- 4 dashes aromatic bitters, preferably Fee Brothers
- 4 dashes orange bitters, preferably Regan's
Garnish: orange peel
- Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a footed cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a swath of orange peel.
Chai-Infused Sweet Vermouth:Add one chai teabag for every 375ml (two bags per 750ml) of sweet vermouth and allow to infuse overnight.