In the Trader Vic’s tradition, this drink is served in a Port Light glass, which resembles a rounded lantern with red glass and gold trim; the same glass in green is called a Starboard Light glass. A Port Light Highball appears in Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide (1947), but it’s very different from this drink, which Jeff “Beachbum” Berry discovered at the Kahiki Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio, in 1996.
Adapted from Beachbum Berry Remixed by Jeff "Beachbum" Berry
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce passion fruit syrup, see Editor's Note
- 1/4 grenadine, preferably Monin Pomegranate
- 1 cup crushed ice
Garnish: swizzle stick
- Put everything in a blender.
- Blend at high speed for 5 seconds.
- Pour unstrained into a Port Light glass, adding more ice to fill.
- Garnish with a swizzle stick.
Allow one packet of frozen 100-percent passionfruit pulp (Goya or La Fé, preferably) to defrost at room temperature, about 2 hours. Mix the defrosted puree in equal parts with a 1:1 simple syrup, bottle and refrigerate. It will last two or three days in the fridge.