An all-American homage to the tiki genre, this drink includes an overproof white blackstrap rum for a hint of molasses and spice. While Robert Rugg-Hinds typically uses a house-made “Kentucky Falernum,” which mixes spice-infused bourbon with lemon juice and pecan syrup, home bartenders can “save the hassle and use John D. Taylor Velvet Falernum,” he advises.
Robert Rugg-Hinds, The Eddy | New York
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum, preferably Prichard's Crystal Rum
- 1/4 ounce white blackstrap rum, preferably Thomas TewWidows Walk Overproof Blackstrap Rum
- 3/4 ounce falernum
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
Garnish: cloves, orange bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a tall glass mug or tiki mug.
- Add crushed ice and mix with a swizzle stick or spoon to combine.
- Top with more crushed ice to fill the glass.
- Garnish with cloves and a few dashes of orange bitters.