For this Collins-like pitcher cocktail, the Gefilteria wanted to highlight some of the best qualities of their kvass (a fermented and subtly alcoholic Eastern European beverage). That meant playing with its effervescence by adding seltzer, and complimenting its savoriness with gin. It’s an uncomplicated drink, too. “I think kvass is a really interesting thing to serve at home,” says Liz Alpern, one of the businesses owners. “I’ll come after work, and it’s a great thing to build on without a lot of work.” The health benefits don’t hurt, either. “One of the beautiful things about beets is they are known as liver cleansers.”
Bitter Orange Kvasstail
The Gefilteria | Brooklyn, NY
- 15 ounces beet kvass
- 5 ounces gin (preferably Brooklyn Gin)
- 5 ounces soda water
- 3 ounces simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1 ounce orange bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- In a pitcher, add kvass, gin, simple syrup and orange bitters.
- Add ice and top with soda.
- Stir gently to mix.
- Pour into individual glasses and garnish with an orange peel.