Drawing on Alex Anderson’s time at Cane & Table, Hold Up spotlights a funky Jamaican rum mixed with quinine-fortified wine, grapefruit liqueur and lemon—all in equal parts. She notes that it resembles a Culross Cocktail, a Savoy Cocktail Book classic featuring the no-longer-extant Kina Lillet alongside rum and apricot brandy. But, true to form, Anderson turns the flavors up to 10 with a whopping 14 drops of celery bitters. “It’s a very bold cocktail.”
- 3/4 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold rum
- 3/4 ounce Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit liqueur, preferably Giffard Crème de Pamplemousse Rose
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 14 drops celery bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Express orange peel and discard.