At Paradise Lost in New York’s East Village, Khali’s Coffee Grog is a bold-flavored and theatrical variation on the classic Don the Beachcomber drink. This tableside variation, which gets set aflame, is inspired by the presentation at Florida’s Mai-Kai.
- 6 ounces Khali Cold-Brew Coffee (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 1/2 ounces Gardenia Mix (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 1/2 ounces jasmine coconut cream (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 ounce overproof Demerara rum, preferably Hamilton 151 rum
- 3/4 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1 orange twist
- 1 lemon twist
Garnish: large cinnamon stick
- In a tempered coffee mug, combine the coffee and Gardenia Mix (heated to 85°C/185°F; the bar keeps both components combined as a “Grog Mix” in a hot water bath) with jasmine coconut cream.
- In a Turkish coffee pot or a ceramic carafe, combine the rums and citrus peels.
- Using a kitchen torch or a long-handled match, light the rums and citrus on fire. Carefully pour the flaming rums into the coffee mix, using kitchen tweezers, tongs or chopsticks to add the citrus peels to your drink.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick. Extinguish flame and serve.
350 grams water
12 grams Chinese cassia bark, crushed
12 grams Ceylon cinnamon, crushed
1.5 grams allspice, whole
2.5 grams Tahitian vanilla bean, minced
150 grams butter, unsalted
150 grams butter, salted
2.7 grams gum arabic, powdered
0.4 grams xanthan gum
300 grams acacia honey
18 grams raw cane sugar
16 grams Dale DeGroff’s Pimento Bitters
1. Combine the water, cassia, cinnamon and allspice in a saucepan and heat to 195°F. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla bean; cover and steep for 10 minutes.
3. In a separate saucepan (or a microwave), melt both butters over medium heat.
3. Fine-strain the infused water to remove coarse spice solids.
4. Use an immersion blender to incorporate both gums into the prepared water.
5. Gradually add the melted butter, processing continuously with an immersion blender until emulsified.
6. Gradually add the remaining ingredients, processing continuously with an immersion blender until incorporated. Pass through a fine strainer, then store refrigerated or frozen.
Jasmine Coconut Cream
400 milliliters (1 can) Aroy-D coconut milk
375 grams (1 3/4 cups) white sugar
0.5 gram salt (1/8 teaspoon)
2 drops jasmine essential oil
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until the sugar has dissolved into solution.
Khali Cold-Brew Coffee
4 ounces coarsely ground coffee beans, preferably Sweetleaf Roasters’ Cosa Nuestra
32 ounces water
1. Coarsely grind the coffee beans to resemble cornmeal, rather than a fine powder.
2. Transfer the grounds to a container. Pour water over them, then stir gently to make sure the grounds are saturated.
3. Steep coffee for 12 hours.
4. Strain the coffee through a coffee filter or cold-brew bag. Refrigerate.