“Watermelon is incredibly refreshing, but tends to bring a lot of sweetness to a drink,” explains Xavier Herit, co-owner of the Wallflower. To balance this sweetness, Herit adds a measure of acidity in the form of lime juice, using the two contrasting flavors as foils for each other in this refreshing summer cocktail.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Citadelle
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce watermelon juice
- 1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano Rosa
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3 dashes absinthe
- 1 dash Thai chili bitters (see Editor's Note)
- Shake all ingredients together and strain into a coupe.
Thai Chili Bitters:
Combine one bottle of Peychaud's bitters with a container of fresh Thai chili peppers. Keep sealed for 10 days and strain.