In Japan, salt is often sprinkled atop watermelon to enhance the flavor. The same idea is at play here, with a combination of wasabi powder, salt and sugar for a little something extra.
- 2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce lime and lemon juice, mixed
- 3/4 ounce cane syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 1 ounce watermelon juice
- 1 pinch wasabi salt
- 25 grams peeled cucumber (roughly two slices)
Garnish: cucumber slice
- Combine peeled cucumber and cane syrup to a shaking tin, and muddle gently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the watermelon.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Add watermelon juice.
- Stir lightly, and serve.
A subtle flavor like watermelon would disappear instantly when diluted by shaking, so here we wait until the other ingredients have been combined and add the watermelon juice directly to the drink at the end.