In Japan, salt is often sprinkled atop watermelon to enhance the flavor. The same idea is at play here, with a combination of wasabi powder, salt and sugar for a little something extra.
Watermelon Cucumber Cooler
Kenta Goto, Bar Goto | New York City
- 2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce lime and lemon juice, mixed
- 3/4 ounce cane syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 1 ounce watermelon juice
- 1 pinch wasabi salt
- 25 grams peeled cucumber (roughly two slices)
Garnish: cucumber slice
- Combine peeled cucumber and cane syrup to a shaking tin, and muddle gently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the watermelon.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Add watermelon juice.
- Stir lightly, and serve.
A citrusy mixture of gin, lime and lemon juice, watermelon and cucumber.