In his Nudie Beach, Brian Griffiths of Miami’s Broken Shaker accentuates the floral quality of St-Germain with fresh melon notes in the form of housemade honeydew syrup. A dash of rosewater brightens things up, while tart passion fruit cools the sweet spice of ginger for a tall, refreshing and balanced daytime sidekick.
- 1 1/2 ounces London dry gin
- 1/2 ounce St-Germain
- 1 ounce honeydew syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/4 ounce passion fruit puree, preferably Boiron
- 1/4 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 dash rose water
Garnish: candied ginger and mint
- Combine all of the ingredients in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a pilsner glass and fill with crushed ice.
- Garnish with candied ginger and mint.
Peel and seed one honeydew melon. Pass the melon through a juicer or puree in a blender. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add equal parts sugar by volume. Stir or shake until the sugar has dissolved. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Yields 3 1/2 cups.
Pass a ginger root through a juicer and measure ½ cup of the juice (reserve the remainder for another use). Transfer to a saucepan and add 8 ounces sugar and ½ cup water. Heat over low heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.