“This cocktail was inspired by the beautiful citrus we have in California,” says Christine Wiseman, who incorporates blood orange, Meyer lemon and oroblanco into this recipe. “I really wanted to showcase these items that I had fallen in love with at the market from one of my favorite farms.” Originally a straightforward mixture of gin, bianco vermouth, absinthe and citrus, Wiseman added miso tincture after a visit to Little Tokyo, “to give it some funk.”
- 1 1/2 ounce gin, preferably Fords
- 1/2 ounce bianco vermouth, preferably Carpano Bianco
- 1/4 ounce absinthe
- 1 ounce California Citrus cordial (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 barspoon miso tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: shredded nori
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with shredded nori.
California Citrus Cordial:
1 quart blood orange juice
1 quart meyer lemon juice
1 quart oroblanco or grapefruit juice
3 quarts sugar
Peel and juice the citrus. Keep the peels. In a large bowl or container, combine the juices, peels and sugar. Cover the mixture and let it sit overnight. Strain out the solids before using.
750mL bottle high-proof neutral distillate (such as vodka)
2 cups white miso paste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.