Equal parts grapefruit sour and lemon milkshake, the Pompelmo Sour from Estela uses a grapefruit oleo saccharum to create a deep citrusy base, which is pumped up with gin and bittersweet Amaro Montenegro.
- 1 1/2 ounce gin, (preferably Dorothy Parker)
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit oleo saccharum, (see Editor's Note)
- 1 egg white
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake (shake without ice).
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
To make oleo saccharum, remove the peel from 1 large grapefruit (leaving as little pith as possible). Chop peels roughly. Combine chopped grapefruit peels with 2 cups of white sugar and pack tightly into container. Let mixture sit for 24 hours to allow citrus oils to infuse into sugar. Once infused, add 1 1/2 cups cold or room temperature water to mixture and allow to dissolve.