Disaronno can make a disarming first impression, one that’s tamed in this elegant amaretto sour variation. Splitting the base with aged tequila eases the natural sweetness of the liqueur and a hit of absinthe makes for a more complex cocktail—bringing it “out of dessert drink territory and giving it a place in the all-occasion canon,” according to Resa Mueller.
- 1 ounce amaretto, preferably Disaronno
- 1 ounce reposado tequila
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 1 dash absinthe
- 1 egg white
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and dry shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with an orange twist.