Originally conceived of as a carrot cake cocktail for the “Flip” section of the Death & Co. Denver menu, Alex Jump ultimately cut the carrot element from the equation. “I worked on that drink for two months and it was terrible,” she jokes. “It never tasted like carrot cake.” Consisting of aquavit, Cognac, peanut-infused oloroso sherry, lemon and mascarpone and topped with crushed ice and peanut brittle, it still evokes a dessert-like quality. “I’m like an allergist’s nightmare, I love peanuts and peanut butter,” she says.
Alex Jump, Death & Co. Denver | Denver
- 3/4 ounce aquavit, preferably Linie
- 3/4 ounce Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand Ambre
- 3/4 ounce peanut-infused oloroso sherry, preferably Lustau Don Nuño (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce cane syrup (2:1, cane sugar:water)
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 barspoon mascarpone
Garnish: peanut brittle
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Fine strain into a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with peanut brittle.
Peanut-Infused Oloroso Sherry:
180 grams raw peanuts
1 750mL-bottle oloroso sherry
Gently toast the peanuts until they are golden in color. Let cool and then place in vacuum bag. Add the oloroso to the bag and seal. Store in cooler overnight. Strain through a coffee filter lined chinos and rebottle. Store in the refrigerator.