If the Old-Fashioned tried to make like a Long Island Iced Tea, it might look like this. There are the usual bitters, sugar and whiskey in this mix, but it is compounded by brandy and rum and served as a highball. Like a Long Island, a lot of spirituous power is hidden beneath its smooth surface.
- 3/4 ounce Old Grand-Dad Bonded Bourbon
- 3/4 ounce JW Dant Bonded Bourbon
- 1/4 ounce 3 year rum, preferably Ron del Barrilito 2 Star
- 1/4 ounce brandy, preferably Lustau Solera Reserva Brandy
- 1 barspoon piloncillo syrup (2:1, piloncillo:water)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3/4 ounce water
Garnish: orange zest
- Combine all ingredients in a bottle and store in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, pour over a large ice cube in a frozen highball glass.
- Garnish with orange zest.